Thursday, June 26, 2008

The Anaheim Chronicles

Today I finished a 24 Hour First Responder Technician Class for Metropolitan Water District of Southern California outside of Temecula, California. I have learned so much working with MWD that my brain hurts. Today we were discussing potential failures in a chlorine evaporator system and one of the students mentioned that engineers during the desing phase "Cut and Paste" their designs from one building to another. Inherantly this causes many internal issues becuase of location, elevation, material flaws, employee strife, and many others (too many to list). The Cut and Paste dilema is in just about every industry I have visited by none more important than the folks who treat and distribute our potable water supply.

It is important for me at this point in my career because I am writing a technical MOP (manual of practice) for the Water Environment Federation that directly relates to Design for Wastewater Treatment Plants. Now if safety is forgotten, then, there will be unmistakeable problems later on during treatment well after construction. Could you imagine how compounded the problem becomes if the engineer who designs the facility just decided to Copy and Paste from the last design used? And you wonder why I live in Arizona?

Well, I am off to do a Traffic Control Class in Mission Viejo for Cox Communications tomorrow and I am home for one whole week (8 straight days) WOOHOO

No comments: